Wisconsin’s proposed religious discrimination amendment is even worse than Arizona’s religious discrimination bill
Late last year, I wrote about a proposal (which was featured by Heather Asiyanbi of Racine County Eye) by the Republicans in the Wisconsin State Legislature to propose an amendment to the Wisconsin Constitution that would, in effect, allow many different forms of religious discrimination in Wisconsin.
Since the Arizona Legislature recently passed an atrocious bill that, if enacted, would allow Arizona businesses to refuse service to LGBT people on religious grounds, I’d figure that I’d remind the people of the State of Wisconsin that Republicans want to enact an even more atrocious measure in Wisconsin.
While Republicans are calling this proposal the “Religious Freedom Amendment”, in reality, it’s a religious discrimination amendment that, in effect, would turn a shield of constitutional protections of religious freedom into a sword that anyone could use to discriminate against people on religious grounds. Not only would the religious discrimination amendment allow businesses to refuse service to LGBT people (or any other group of people) on religious grounds, it would allow pharmacists and/or pharmacies to refuse to dispense contraception prescriptions to women and undermine virtually all anti-discrimination measures in Wisconsin.
The proposed religious discrimination measure in Wisconsin is even worse than the anti-LGBT bill in Arizona in another regard: unlike the Arizona bill, which, if enacted, would become a state statute that could easily be repealed if a big enough backlash to the bill were to result in the election of a majority of Arizona state legislators who were strongly opposed to the bill, the Wisconsin measure is a proposed amendment to the Wisconsin Constitution which, if ratified, would be extremely difficult to repeal. Wisconsin requires that approval by a majority of both houses of the Wisconsin State Legislature in two consecutive legislatures and a majority popular vote in a referendum election in order to enact a state constitutional amendment in Wisconsin, and the same lengthy process would be required in order to repeal a state constitutional amendment.
While Arizona Republicans are busy trying to enact bigotry into their state’s laws, Wisconsin Republicans are proposing a religious discrimination amendment that, in many ways, is far worse than the atrocious legislation the Arizona Legislature passed. If the proposed religious discrimination amendment makes it to the ballot, I strongly encourage Wisconsinites to vote against it.
Tags: Arizona, Arizona Legislature, bigotry, business, Constitutional amendment, David Craig, discrimination, Joe Liebham, LGBT, LGBT rights, religious discrimination, religious discrimination amendment, religious freedom, religious freedom amendment, state constitution, state constitutional amendment, WI-AD-83, WI-SD-9, Wisconsin, Wisconsin Assembly, Wisconsin Constitution, Wisconsin Legislature, Wisconsin Senate
About Aaron CampPolitical Blogger and Proud Democrat from Westville, Illinois!
- Scott Walker uses image of California stadium in ad
- Political Analysis of the Hypothetical Wisconsin Assembly Districts (Districts 67-99)
- Racist homophobe Jacob Dorsey drops out of Wisconsin Assembly race
- Political Analysis of the Wisconsin Hypothetical Assembly Districts (Districts 34-66)
- The gun nuts are trying to steal the Wisconsin gubernatorial election
- Central Wisconsin (26)
- Democratic Party of Wisconsin (121)
- Northeastern Wisconsin (28)
- Northern Wisconsin (18)
- South Central Wisconsin (80)
- Madison (50)
- Southeastern Wisconsin (74)
- Milwaukee (39)
- Statewide Wisconsin Politics (177)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Western Wisconsin (26)
- Wisconsin in the U.S. House (24)
- Wisconsin in the U.S. Senate (17)
- Wisconsin Political Satire (1)
- Wisconsin State Legislature (126)
The Prairie Badger on TwitterMy Tweets
- Scott Walker uses image of California stadium in ad September 21, 2014
- Political Analysis of the Hypothetical Wisconsin Assembly Districts (Districts 67-99) September 19, 2014
- Racist homophobe Jacob Dorsey drops out of Wisconsin Assembly race September 17, 2014
- Political Analysis of the Wisconsin Hypothetical Assembly Districts (Districts 34-66) September 17, 2014
- The gun nuts are trying to steal the Wisconsin gubernatorial election September 15, 2014
- Political Analysis of the Wisconsin Hypothetical Assembly Districts (Districts 1-33) September 15, 2014
- All 5 Republican women calling for EMILY’s List to pull Susan Happ endorsement voted for forced ultrasounds September 14, 2014
- Right-wing federal judges have disenfranchised thousands of Wisconsin voters September 13, 2014
- It’s time for Wisconsinites to ditch Scott Walker September 12, 2014
- Scott Walker stands in a hole in the ground in campaign ad September 11, 2014